Does Sleeping Position Affect Your Dream?


I recently have a very weird dream, this dream is so real that I can actually feel there is dirt on my feet when I woke up. Then, I began to wonder (Yes, ever since I didn't work, my curiosity grows to a very high level) what could possibly affect my dream? Is it the way I sleep or the way I behave differ from the original? I have to check the net in order to answer this cause I don't think any of my friends is a "Dream Expert".

They say if you sleep on your back, with the back of the head on the pillow, you tend to have nightmares. While sleeping the right side will make you tend to have dreams that are more physical, materialistic and action based while the left side is more spiritual, abstract and concept based(You know the Right brain vs Left brain thing - How to know if you are more right brain than left brain refer the pic above, if the girl turns clockwise you use more of a left brainer) which I think its wrong! This is because I normally sleep on the right side and I usually have the coolest of dreams (Eg. free falling from the skies) and I think this is something abstract. While my weird dream is something physical from somewhat I woke from the left side. Therefore I disaproved this theory.

Then, I came across this article by Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the UK Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service. This guy here has analysed 6 different sleeping position that will affect one's personality.
Your sleeping position

Foetus (41% of world population sleep like this{Estimated})
Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

Log(15%)
Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

Yearner(13%)
People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

Soldier(8%)
Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

Freefall(7%)
Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Starfish(5%)
Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

After reading this then it struck me its not the side that I'm sleeping on that matters its the positions. I have changed into a different person compared to who I was...well... maybe for that night only but who knows maybe its only the beginning.

One more thing before I close this post... I came up with an experiment recently and I want everyone to try... It's been the third night already. Everytime I remember a dream when I woke up, before I do anything else when I turn my head to the other side I will somehow forget that dream. Weird right? Try it when you have a nightmare, it somehow comforts me and maybe it'll comfort you too.

Comments

  1. That was really intresting! But in my opinion i think your dreams are based on your actions of the day, smething your worried about, something you want to do, and stuff like that. Even your weirdest dreams have a meaning. Ive heard that its not about what you drempt most of the time but what you FELT in that dream. So please think about that next time that you have a crazy dream and cant make anything of it. Thnk about what you felt and that should help you figure out the dream and why your mind is making up such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two psychiatrists have told me that dreams are totally meaingless unless you have the same one several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?
    sleep position and personality

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aluba

So High vs. Sohai

Welcome to the Cashless Society (Malaysia Edition)