So High vs. Sohai

Yes! First test 1 paper is over and inspirations starts flowing in again. After having read one of my good friends blog post. I realised that Malaysia and Singapore have many differences as well. In Singapore, you're not given a chance to speak your own preferred language like Hokkien. However, in Malaysia, it is not that I have no one to speak Hokkien dialect to but the thing is when you go Kuantan, most of the Chinese there speaks Cantonese and this became very difficult for me and my friend to order our food. We sounded weird...well... mostly not me (Thank you TVB drama) with our Hokkien mix English mix Cantonese words that came out from my mouth. From there, I have decided to put my best effort to learn how to speak fluent Cantonese in my 4 years in UMP.

So, why the title gotta do with this. Well, first of all, my new friend here always annoy me with these words "I'm so high"... Ya, "geli" and annoying but then again it really make me reflect upon what is the first ever word that I did heard NOT from tv, but practically the with my own ears - Sohai. So therefore we gonna compare here between this 2 words. Which is of stronger usage? Which is more powerful in which situation? Which is more "breath-taking" when it came out from your mouth?

Sohai - Word my friend explains to me long ago through a forum. However, I not really sure where he got it from and I have alter some of the info already. But recently I ask again and this verification is correct.

When you see the word Sohai, in English means you can replace it with "Idiot" Simple right? But my friend, you better be careful when you use this word because it is not a 'friendly' word, it's vulgar actually.

Sohai is actually made of 2 Cantonese word - So and Hai

So = Stupid

Hai = The organ of your mum where your father put something in and get you out from there. Like a Coke vending machine, you put RM1.50 and you get a can of coke out from it except the hole is much more smaller. So that organ, your father release some liquid in and get you out from it. If you don't know what is it, ASK YOUR MOM, SOHAI! Ask your father if you don't know what liquid he put in.

That's why sohai is consider a rude word. But it is very common among Cantonese speaker. Examples are as below:

-Sohai! Do you know how to spell Hippopotamus?(or is it Hipoppotamus?)

- Look at that Sohai, he is wearing a red underwear.

Sometimes we can use the word on ourself.

- Today I'm very Sohai, I locked my car keys inside the car.

- Wen Qi: "I'm so sohai. My com just broke down while playing CS" (Sorry to drag you into this if you're reading it)

Sometimes we can call our friend sohai.

- Oi Sohai, where to eat supper?

- I use to call one of my friends sohai

(It makes friends closer to each other because only close friends will not get pissed-off with such word. Like in English, you can call your buddy, "Hey ass hole!" Try that on a stranger and see if you can still keep your balls)

Also there's a past tense - Sohai-ed

- "I've been sohai-ed by Jia Han" - It means you have been fooled around like a sohai.

There are 2 common variations of Sohai

1. Dai Sohai - Dai means big. So dai sohai means big idiot. Edmund is a dai sohai because he typed self-employed as self-employer in his resume. (All those YouTube movies that you watch where Americans doing some stuns but failed are all dai sohai, like jumping from building to building and fell, skate down the stairs handle and fell, burn their own pubic hair... All the fellas in American Funniest Home Videos that send in videos of someone fell is also dai sohai. Allthe people who laugh because someone fell is also dai sohai. So I think there's one morale of the story here which may cause AFHV to sue me.

2. Sei Sohai - Sei means die. So it is an extra curse word on top of sohai. You use it because of hatred. You can called a policeman who 'saman' you a sei sohai. If somebody knocks your car from the back you can called him sei sohai. If a politician say your mom 'bocor' every month, you can call him sei sohai.

3. Tui Lei Lar Sei Sohai - This is normally not recommended unless your an extremist which I'm not. Tiu Lei means f**k you. So if your lab partner threatens you that he'll boycott you, you can say tiu lei sei sohai.



How to pronounce 'Sohai'?

Easy. Soyabean's So
Haiya's Hai.

Then there's even the song sang by Jay Chou and Lara - Shan SoHai.......... Ignore this. I'm too high...


Speaking of high, 'so high' is rather use to express a feeling. Positive feeling like happy that you acted weirdly or you gotten lovesick or you're under drugs influence.

At first, before you are really high, you become really giddy and will laugh at the slightest thing. You may also remember random things and pointlessly share them with your friends. When you're high, it feels very much like you're dreaming. When you are sober, it may be hard to remember what happened when you were high, much like how its's hard to remember a dream after you wake up.

When you're high, your vision gets messed up (this normally occur to drug addicts). Some people compare it to watching your vision in a movie theatre. For example, if you turned on your tv while high, it may seem like you're sitting in a movie theater watching a movie of yourself turning on a tv in the first person view. Also you may see things in a different perspective. In fact, if you're high enough, your own house can seem completely different. Music is also heard in a different perspective, it can seem like the music surrounds you or some described as "in the music". Different music can have different effects on you. Old school rock can make you trip out and go crazy. Rap can make you freestyle better than you could ever thought off. Techno can actually sounds cool. Your balance and coordination maybe affected. Am I getting towards the effect of drug addicts? Yeah this paragraph explains the effect of 'high-ness' of drugs gave. Sorry.

So there you have it. You have learn 2 new words today. Go! Use them well. Make me proud.

Comments

  1. this 1 also very sohai http://bit.ly/sohai , you sign up then can see d .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aluba

Welcome to the Cashless Society (Malaysia Edition)